Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pinky

Vest: Simplicity New Look 6914 version B
Skirt: Simplicity 2655 version E with added pockets (not ironed, sorry)

Well, I finally got over being mad at my vest enough to finish it. I still don't love it, though. Using satiny fabric as lining really kind of sucks. It is a different weight and slippery too, so I think maybe that is why I simply can't smooth out the wrinkles. Last time my lining was the same grey stretchy fabric as the rest of the vest, and it worked out well.

I discovered that there is a specific way to petite a pattern which hasn't been designed that way. It would have been handy for my brain to think of that before I tried to make this vest.

What is the difference between a petite woman and a regular one? Well, a petite person is generally shorter, so a petite pattern has lines to shorten the garment at specific places- usually at the waist, but also some other places. A petite person would have a narrower back width, and may need to adjust the length from shoulder to bust. Usually petiting below the waist involves only hemming, but you might have to make adjustments to length in hip areas instead, depending on your shape. I plan on actually petiting this regular vest pattern and trying again. I'll post the resulting project along with a tutorial on how I did it (if it works).

My skirt is the same pattern I used to piece together the brown corduroy skirt I love, only this one doesn't have the bottom flounce. I think I like the flounce for the added length. This skirt is completely modest in that the length is as long as my fingertips, but I feel like the curve of my rear end shortens the back to make it inappropriate to wear to work. I'm considering adding a ruffle made of the light peachy/pink scraps.

So there you go. I'm not 100% thrilled with my creations, but I do think it's as cute as I was hoping, just not made as well as I like. I can't exactly blame anyone but myself for that!

2 comments:

  1. okay I don't understand why you don't like the vest...it looks really cute and seems to fit well. I love the buttons too.

    ReplyDelete